Search Fuwa Fuwa

9/1/12

Darksiders 2 - Review

Reviewed for the PC played with Xbox360 Controller.
Pros
  • Wide Variety of Genres
  • Borrows Elements From Great Games
  • Long Playtime (Singleplayer Action)
  • Loot Galore
Cons
  • Identity Confused Game
  • ^ So many elements added in but none fully fleshed out properly.
  • Wide Variety of Genres
"Darkness called… But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69-Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."

Darksiders 2 is a lot of things, but one thing it is not is innovative. It has taken ripping off aspects from other games to a "whole new level". This doesn't make it bad as they are all elements that were, interesting, well thought out, and overall fun. However because they are trying to do so many things at once a lot of the elements do get botched.

Darksiders 2 starts off with a fairly generic story, which molds into a even more generic story. You play Death one of the four Horsemen, granted immense power to maintain the balance of the world, forced to slay their own brethren to uphold that balance. Throughout the game you meet various characters which I honestly can't remember any of their names. Needless to say I couldn't get attached to the characters no matter how hard I tried which made it pretty difficult to care about the story.

"I didn't steal any buffs, I got receipts for everything!"
The Gameplay is great "for the most part" the problem is one minute you are playing a platforming puzzle game (Prince of Persia) the next you are playing a combo fighting game (Devil May Cry) the next a survival horror game with Diablo music, etc.. If you can see my point you never end up playing exactly what you want to play lol.

Although there is problems ultimately the game can be pretty fun because it's like 20 games rolled into one, although I wished they would of fleshed out the combat a bit more and the platforming since they are major elements, I think if they added a few things like 180 flip around poles like they had in Prince of Persia would of saved a lot of time and made it all the more enjoyable. Just simple things like that.


The puzzles in the game aren't challenging, the most difficult puzzle I think I ever had to solve took me like 5 minutes well I guess if you can consider it a puzzle it was more like camera issues trying to jump from one point to another lol, past that I never really had to stop and think about a puzzle, they end up somehow guiding you through them on their own.

The Graphics in the game were decent, nothing really to write home about lol, a lot of reused animations, reused mobs, reused effects, etc.. The Audio was pretty much the same nothing impressive, honestly I swore they stole some sounds from like Zelda and Diablo lol, it kinda annoyed me a bit.


Overall Replayability honestly with Singleplayer RPG/Action games it just isn't there for me, in this game even more so since there is no story choices to be made. I got about 14 hours playtime out of it with trying to find most of the hidden stuff, though I did skip a lot of side quest that just made me wonder why they even put them there lol.

I can't really condone buying this game for 60$ or even 50$ and there's no way I can condone paying 20$ for DLC. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent game, just it's not worth that much money lol, for that amount of money you could go get like 4 copies of l4d2 and have like 300 hours of fun with friends, or go buy a MMO or really anything aside from paying that much money for 14 hours of entertainment.


(Do you enjoy games)*
  • that involve the Grim Reaper (Death) and large scythes?
  • without much of a story?
  • with a large variety of genres?
  • that has a lot of interesting aspects just not all fully fleshed out?
  • that cost 3.5$ per hour of entertainment?
For each YES give yourself +1 then for each NO don't give yourself anything, after you answer and add them up check below for a general idea on how much you might enjoy the game.
0-2 Forget
3-4 Rent
5-5 Buy
I encourage you to play any demo available for the game before you buy or rent a game, there is nothing better to help you decide then trying the game firsthand.

No comments:

Post a Comment